Saturday, September 05, 2009

Over a year since my last post!

I can't believe that 16 months have past since my last post & not much has happened with the TR. I've been distracted with installing a new engine in a 79 Ford Transit, along with the fabrication of the gearbox mounting brackets and adjusting the seating of the prop shaft, so that was a summer gone. This year I've been distracted yet again with installing a new engine in a 1966 Volve that I couldn't resist buying and spending numerous weekends welding in new chassis outriggers and the like. So..... almost at the end of the year, I'm back on the TR!

The rear chassis cross member was rotten, so finally, I've managed to install a new one after about 40 hours worth of work! Despite my huge assortment of tools, I just didn't have the right ones for this kind of job!


So ..... The rear of the chassis was cut away



















As the chassis cross member was only rotten on the n/side, I spot welded a smaller tube into the original cross member to re-enforce it.



















Then welded in the o/side of the new pattern cross member tube into the new chassis plate I fabricated, which was then welded into the chassis.



















The n/s of the cross member tube was then butt welded to the original tube, after ensuring complete penetration of the weld.



















Then ... smother the thing with black stuff and walk away for another 16 months!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home